Monday, November 19, 2007

This is Not Your Mother’s Stove…Oh Wait, It Is!


In our line of work we have come across a number of original appliances in various stages of disrepair and condition. Now, I have spent the better part of the last three years slowly restoring my own 1926 English Cotswald home, using, as much as possible, original items from our own salvaging efforts. After getting a glimpse of these wonderful old ranges, I decided that the only option for me was to replace my stove, whose touchy temperament did not allow me to use the oven and the burners at the same time, or even more than two burners at once regardless of my oven use. You can just imagine Thanksgiving at my house. More recently it had become obsessed with its own cleanliness, on more than one occasion I had found myself unable to open the oven door as it had somehow locked itself into a self-cleaning cycle. So given my situation I decided that the search for my new “old” stove needed to begin and quickly. Finding someone locally who could do the repairs on one of my “found” stoves proved to be difficult. Add to that, the fact that I am limited by space in my quaint kitchen and could not have anything wider than 30 inches.

Not being easily discouraged I dug deeper and searched wider. I found a number of companies that take these vintage gems and completely restore them. Refurbished with completely new valves, piping, insulation, and enamel finishes, these stoves are in the long run less expensive, have far more character than the reproductions, and actually cook more evenly. You might be familiar with Rachel Ray from the Food Network who cooks on an old Chamber stove and swears by it. I purchased a vintage O'Keefe & Merritt newly re-porcelained white gas range circa 1950. It’s been two years now and I still marvel at its simplicity and style. It’s the center of my kitchen. Where can you find these gems? There happen to be a few options.

Here is the picture of the stove when it was first put in and another after the entire kitchen was remodeled (see post on remodeling with architectural salvage.)

I purchased mine at SAVON Appliances and General Appliance Refinishing, Inc. both are owned and operated by Emmett Julian. Originally from Chicago, Emmett has been in the used appliance business for over 30 years, and started SAVON Appliance in Burbank, CA, in the early 1980's. You can call Emmett or Marsha directly with any questions about buying, selling, trading, resurfacing, painting, moving or completely restoring any appliance. When my stove arrived it was neatly wrapped in cellophane and crated to perfection. Not a scratch was found.

SAVON Appliance2925 Burbank Blvd.Burbank, CA 91505phone: 818-843-4840 or 818-843-4908email: info@savonappliance.com

Another resource is Antique Gas Stoves in Montclair, Ca. Since 1982, Antique Gas Stoves has been rebuilding vintage stoves of all types for it’s customers. Contact Terri Smith for more information. Antique Gas Stoves ships worldwide and stoves start at around $3000.00

Antique Gas Stoves
Antique Stoves - Sales - Service - Parts – Restoration
P.O. Box 3175 Montclair, California 91763 USA
voice: (909) 445-0300
email: cookin@AntiqueGasStoves.com


And finally, Antique Appliances.com. Antique and vintage appliance restoration is what AntiqueAppliances.com is all about. Located in the mountains of North Georgia, in the small community of Clayton, their crew of six craftsmen restore all makes of antique and vintage refrigerators and stoves, even adding unique design concepts to the exteriors. Custom colors to fit your decor are readily available. They too ship worldwide and gas stoves start around $1800 up to $50,000.00, electric stoves $1800 up to $18,000.00, refrigerators run about $1800 up to $12-$15 thousand. Restoration takes about 4-6 weeks from the time a restoration begins. AntiqueAppliances.com is currently scheduling projects out two years because of the demand.

AntiqueAppliances.Com30 West Savannah StreetClayton, GA 30525USA
Telephone: (706)782-3132Fax: (706)782-7326
E-Mail Address:John's direct e-mail: john@antiqueappliances.com Sales Department e-mail: sales@antiqueappliances.com

My next project is to tackle a vintage refrigerator. I just haven’t gotten past having to thaw out the freezer every month.

No comments: