Saturday, February 9, 2008

Nohea Interiors


Nohea is a Hawaiian word that means beautiful, handsome and/or lovely. It's also the name of our new friend, Calie Anderson's design firm, Nohea Interiors.

I often go out on the net looking for inspiration for our store displays. Searching for new trends and colors, and home ideas, so it's no surprize that I came across Nohea Interiors. Calie exudes a style that was/is immediately appealing to me. Turns out this San Franciscan woman and I have a common thread, we both have family ties to the Hawaiian Islands.

Now here's the thing about Hawaii. It's one of the most diverse states in the U.S. Several different ethnic groups have found their way to the islands for jobs with the plantations. Then you have the military base on Oahu that continues to bring in mainland folks and their families. Having been a sociology major, I've always thought it is the one place on earth where you can really, truly study anthropology and gain a better understanding of human nature and mixed cultures. It's the only place I've been in the world where complete strangers ask you "what are you?" and not "what do you do?" and there's no wierdness about it. I'm German and Swedish with a Tutu (Hawaiian for grandma) that's Pilipino and proud of it!

That said, my point here is that someone from Hawaii has a deep understanding of multiple cultures and a strong awareness of what that means. Then of course there is so much beauty in the paradise of the islands. All of this makes for a great design perspective and that's what you get when working with Calie Anderson.

Check out http://www.noheainteriors.com/ and Calie's blog at http://nohealookbook.blogspot.com/

Calie is working on wallpaper designs that are fabulous! I'll be posting about them as they evolve.

Tab

1 comment:

Vineeta said...

Calie is a person Im happy to have discovered post blogging. ANd it never ceases to amaze me about the great people I keep meeting and the neat work and philosophies they each have.
What you say of Hawaii really resonates with me, because Im from Bombay/ Mumbai, in India. Now India is a potpourri of cultures and languages and Mumbai is its melting pot. Great to meet u guys and the see phenomenal work u r doing! :)