Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Handmade by Who? You

I was talking to my Dad the other day and he is in his mid 70's. Let me explain that this is a man who cannot figure out call waiting, or alphabetize his favorites on his bookmark page. He asks me if I remember the episode of I Love Lucy where Harpo Marx and Lucy do the mirror scene. It is one of his favorite skits of all time. He then says, "so I went to YouTube and I found the whole scene." He proceeds to then talk about the marvels of the billions and billions of bits of information on the internet and how amazing it is that you can find anything. (Frankly I think he knows how to use call waiting he just thinks it's rude).

He is right about the internet, no question there. Which brings me more to my point of this post; Here and there we make things out of other things that don't really fall into the salvage arena and it is hard to find the right customer for those items. How does an individual with great ideas, designs etc get things to market without opening a store or designing a website etc.
The internet being the marvel that it is, coupled with some entrepeneurial spirits have created numerous arenas to bring our creations to the masses. These are also really great ways to support individuals trying to make a living doing what they love.
Etsy.com

No comments: