Thursday, November 29, 2007

Benjamin Moore Aura Line of Paints


I know I had a post a while back on Low VOC paints but this is an update of our own experience with the Benjamin Moore Aura line.





Last night we attended an ASID (American Society of Interior Designers) outing for the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago Chapter where the guest speakers were Benjamin Moore. Now, as owners of an architectural salvage retail store we try to create distinctive displays for our inventory that emphasize the craftsmanship of the past. So we’re always applying new paint to our backdrops in our showroom.





We have been waiting anxiously for the new low-VOC (volatile organic compounds) paints to be readily available. When I started my cabinet (see previous posts) I looked for the Aura paint. The new selections of low- and no-VOC paints that release no, or minimal VOC pollutants, and are virtually odor free.



The level of VOCs in Aura is less than 50 grams per liter, and tinting with new Benjamin Moore waterborne colorants, the Affinity Color Collection, adds no additional VOCs. Although Aura is available in any of Benjamin Moore's 3,300 colors, the Affinity Color Collection was created specifically for Aura. I was able to use some of the paint last night at their presentation and was amazed by its ability to cover in a single coat and it dries so quickly. There was no paint smell at all.

Now we also got some samples of the Wasabi and Fiji aura paints. So my first order of business was to test this out in my world. I thought the Wasabi color would look great against the current color of our walls so I tested a small spot on a door that we have hanging horizontally. I did go really well but maybe a little too well as I wanted something that made it jump off the wall. So I went with the Fiji. First thoughts - I probably should have sanded the existing coat of paint on the door. (Pic 1 before)




Next thought was no smell at all that I could tell. It went on smooth and filled in nicely so you can barely see any brush lines. By the time I got to the end of the door the portion I had started on was nearly dry. Since I did not sand it first some of the previous paint coat bled through. I gave it about 1/2 an hour and then tried my best to smear it, but lo and behold it was dry. Not even the slightest bit tacky. (Pic 2 first coat still wet)

On to the second coat (which I don't think I would have needed if the paint I was covering was a matte finish. Lickety split I am done coverage is beautiful. Best part was I only needed one little jar of the sample. Which for small jobs is perfect, economical and doesn't leave you with half full quarts of paint you might never use again. Another 1/2 hour and I rehung the sconces. (Pic 3 Completed)



We are going to try some more of the colors elsewhere in the store, especially the deep reds. The last time I painted a wall barn red it took 7 coats to get it the right shade. They say these colors are 1 sometimes to coats and you can cover red with white in one coat. Well we are going to try it and let you know how it all comes out.

No comments: